Vacancy announcement: Research Assistant - Transnational Climate Governance (TCG) In the Global South Project
As part of a collaboration with the University of Oxford, The Energy and Research Institute (TERI), and the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE), the African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) will implement a project mapping and analyzing the extent and effectiveness of Transnational Climate Governance (TCG) in Kenya, with funding support from the Volkswagen Foundation (VWF). The project will develop a detailed database of TCG initiatives in Kenya, and analyse their extent and effectiveness, with a view to developing an evidence-base to support policy-making in the implementation of the climate agenda, especially the implementation of the Paris Agreement on Climate Change and other relevant national-level policy. The project will also contribute to academic research on effective climate action and global governance. The project is hosted by the Climate Resilient Economies (CRE) programme at ACTS.
Research and Administration (80%)
- Work closely with the Project Lead in the development of the Kenya TCG database
- Support collection of data for the TCG database, including participation in field work
- Support organizing of the project’s workshops and other relevant events
- Provide research support for all project publications
- Support stakeholder engagement
- Provide other relevant support to the project as requested
- Contribute to other CRE projects and activities especially those closely linked with this project to foster synergies
Communications and Outreach (20%)
- Manage the project web page for the Kenya project, and contribute to the development of content to the overall project website and communication platforms
- Manage and update the project’s social media channels (including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, etc)
- Contribute to development of outreach initiatives, including development of the relevant media content, including but not limited to TV, radio, newspapers etc
Experience and skills required:
- 2-3 years of work experience preferably in environmental management, development – and/or other related – fields
- Strong analytical skills, especially in conducting research
- Excellent written and verbal communication and relational skills
- Self-driven, dynamic and ability to work under pressure and ensure timely delivery of tasks
- Ability to multi-task and work with minimal supervision
- A Masters Degree in Environmental Studies, Development, Political Science, or any other related field
Terms of offer
- A competitive package will be offered commensurate to experience.
- This is contract is for a full-time position for 3 years. The contract will be reviewed yearly and renewed based on performance. It will commence with an initial probation of 3 months
- The selected person will be employed in accordance with ACTS terms of employment.
- We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment.