Contract Type: 5 Years Contract
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
ACTS is currently recruiting for the position of Executive Director (ED). The ED is the Chief Executive Officer of the Centre, is responsible for ensuring sustained progress towards achieving ACTS purpose and mission, and reports to the Governing Council.
The ED is expected to provide overall scientific leadership of the Centre; set the direction of its research and dissemination programmes; develop and articulate strategies and operational plans and managerial leadership; provide strategic and operational leadership; build and maintain superior external partnerships; mobilize and manage resources in support of all operations of the Centre.
The ED will be joining a team and global network of excellent / award winning researchers in the area of science, technology and innovation policies. ACTS was in 2016 rated among the top three global think tanks in Climate Change, and number one in Africa. It is an exiting challenge for the new ED to maintain these standards and drive ACTS higher.
Job Function: Executive Management, Management
Key Responsibilities include the following
- Overall leadership of ACTS, setting the direction of its research and dissemination programmes, developing and articulating strategies, operational plans, staff recruitment and staff evaluation.
- Overall managerial leadership of ACTS, including financial, operational and programme delivery functions; creation and management of the budget, supervision of the finance and administration functions, planning and control systems that measure success, encourage the delivery of results on time and are cost effective.
- Build and promote the Center’s reputation as a world-class science, technology and innovation research, training, advocacy and communications institution.
- Develop and implement an overall funding strategy for the Centre that delivers short and long term financial security and lead resource mobilization efforts that grow and diversify the Center’s funding.
- Provide clear direction in financial resource allocation consistent with the Center Strategic Plan and operations.
- Build a strategic positioning of ACTS globally and ensure that the Center’s unique contribution to science, technology and economy is clearly communicated and recognized in the wider community.
- Promote an open corporate culture based on excellence of delivery, characterized by high standards of critical and output oriented research, highly motivated staff, collegiality, a sense of urgency, participatory decision making, delegation of authority with responsibility, nurturing professional growth and commitment to ACTS ultimate purpose.
- Establish and nurture close links with partner organizations and represent ACTS in regional and global fora: the ED will maintain and reinforce relations with governments as well as with national, regional, and international organizations and other key players to maximize effectiveness and impact.
- Contribute to the overarching vision and strategic approach in the planning and development of Science, Technology and Innovation research in Africa, involving national research systems, the private sector as well as other regional and international research organizations.
- Establish a positive and empowering work environment in conformity with organizational values, policies, and procedures.
- Provide a consistent and empowering vision that supports the sourcing and development of human resources, and create a culture that motivates staff for high professional achievement.
- Represent the ACTS Secretariat in the Governing Council and the Executive Committee of the Governing Council as an ex-officio member.
- Participate in the ACTS Endowment Foundation Trust as an ex-officio member.
Profile of the candidate
- Applicants should preferably be in their mid-career, an energetic person with experience in research, policy analysis, advocacy and resource mobilization
- Have relevant degree and at least 5 years’ experience of running an organisation or team of similar size and scope as ACTS.
- Candidate must have strong leadership and management skills;
- Candidate must have experience of strong and effective relationships with governments, international organizations, civil society, and the private sector; positive and pro-active strategies for building trust, confidence and productivity with partner organizations, and to working with countries, regional and international organizations; and highly developed abilities in resource mobilization.
This is a 5 years contract, renewable.
Highly motivated and dynamic persons are invited to apply. Candidates from Africa are encouraged to apply. The role is based in Nairobi, Kenya.
Interviews will be conducted between 29th January and 5th February 2018 in Nairobi.