SAVE THE DATE: HIGH LEVEL POLICY ROUND TABLE: IMPROVING HEALTH SECTOR PERFORMANCE IN KENYA AND TANZANIA: IS THERE A FUTURE FOR THE LOCAL MANUFACTURING INDUSTRY?
Nairobi, 17th September, 2014
The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) in collaboration with Research for Poverty Alleviation (REPOA) Tanzania, and the Open University (UK) recently concluded a research project on “Industrial Productivity,Health Sector Performance and Policy Synergies for Inclusive Growth in Tanzania and Kenya”. The study identified policy options and incentives for enhancing the supply of essential pharmaceutical and medical products in order to strengthen national health system performance in the two countries.
ACTS, REPOA, the Open University and the Pharmaceutical Society of Kenya (PSK) will be convening a High Level Policy Round table on the 17th of September 2014 in Nairobi to explore these findings and the opportunities they present for improving health performance and economic productivity in Eastern Africa. The Policy Dialogue will bring together key stakeholders in the national health systems in the region including government agencies and departments; the medical and academic community; the pharmaceutical supply chain; and the broader private sector in Kenya.
Key Speakers and Panelists at the Conference include:
- Mr. James Macharia, Cabinet Secretary, Ministry of Health, Republic of Kenya
- Dr. Paul Mwaniki, President, Pharmaceutical Society of Kenya (PSK),
- Prof. G.B.A. Okello, Vice-Chair, ACTS Governing Council (former, Director of Medical Services, Kenya)
- Dr. Cosmas Ochieng, Executive Director, ACTS
- Dr Watu Wamae, ACTS
- Prof. Sam Wangwe, Executive Director, REPOA
- Dr. Wilberforce Wanyanga, Executive Director, PharmaQ
- Mr Walter Okok, Chair, Kenya Health Federation (KHF)
Key industry associations represented include:
- Federation of Kenya Pharmaceutical Manufacturers
- Kenya Pharmaceutical Distributors Association
- Hospital Pharmacists Association of Kenya
- Kenya Association of Pharmaceutical Industries
- Kenya Pharmaceutical Association
We shall be tweeting the event live. Please follow us on twitter @ACTSNET